Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Leahi Hospital. We accept volunteer applications all year round.
- Be 16 years of age or older
- Commit to volunteering at least 4 months
- Volunteer at least once a week for 2 hours
- Pass a random drug test, confidential criminal background check and be fingerprinted (required for all Hawaii Health Systems Corporation volunteers)
Volunteers are needed to push wheelchairs to and from activities, help with activities, visit one to one with residents, do light office work, and other related duties. Volunteers are not allowed to do nursing care. Sample volunteer jobs available: activity helpers, seamstress, hospital lobby greeter, playing ukulele or piano, help residents do crafts, play Hanafuda or Mah Jong.
- Interested applicant completes the Application Form, Background Check Form, FBI Privacy Act Statement, Drug Screen Authorization Form, and Acknowledgement Form. Additionally, minors must complete the Parental Consent Form for Minors.
- Volunteer Coordinator reviews the Volunteer Application and refers application to hospital sections requesting for volunteers.
- If the section is interested in the applicant, the applicant may be called in for an interview.
- If the section accepts applicant, applicant is notified and asked to submit a current (within 12 months) 2-step tuberculosis test. Skin test is given free at Diamond Head Health Center, 3627 Kilauea Ave., Room 302, on Mondays from 2:00 – 4:00 pm. Call 808-733-9220 for more information. Tuberculosis skin tests and chest x-rays are also given at Lanakila Health Center, 1700 Lanakila Ave. ground floor. Call 808-832-5731 for more information.
- Human Resource Office at Leahi Hospital will make arrangements with the applicant to be fingerprinted and for random drug testing.
- Applicants then complete:
- An orientation session with the Volunteer Services Coordinator or designee
- Sign a volunteer agreement and view HIPAA Privacy video.
- Applicant is assigned to a section, given a nametag, and welcomed as a new volunteer.
Applicants are placed according to information provided on the application. Volunteer applications take two to four weeks to process. Not all applicants are accepted into the volunteer program. For more information call Joan Watanabe at 808-733-7934 or email at email@example.com.